Vintage Jewelry

Jones New York Vintage Costume Jewelry

Signed JNY Jones New York Vintage Costume Jewelry
Christmas bells bow red enamel pave rhinestone faux pearl brooch pin. Signed JNY Jones New York Vintage Costume Jewelry

The history of the Jones New York costume jewelry brand began in 1970 in Pennsylvania. Noteworthy, although the name of the jewelry brand includes New York, this name is fictitious and had no relation to New York. The founder and president of Jones Apparel was Pennsylvania native Sidney J. Kimmel (born January 16, 1928).

Initially a branch of W.R. Grace & Co, Jones Apparel Group became an independent major supplier of women’s clothing. Jones Apparel opened branches in various states – Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Vermont, and others. Since 1975, Jones began to produce shoes, watches, bags and fashion jewelry under various brands.

Since the company has registered several trademarks for the production of costume jewelry, the markings on the back of the jewelry are different. They include JNY (in various styles), Jones New York, JJ, Jones Studio, and Jones Wear (for watches).

In addition, the company produced costume jewelry under license from other jewelry companies. Among them, for example, the Anne Klein brand, acquired in 1976. All of these brands ceased to exist in different years.

Once the fastest growing women’s apparel company in the USA, Sidney Kimmel has gone through ups and downs, business splits and ownership changes. Today, Jones New York continues to operate as a fashionable women’s clothing brand.

(more…)

Signed Parco Vintage Costume Jewelry

Pink crystal beads gold tone flower brooch. Signed Parco Vintage Costume Jewelry
Pink crystal beads gold tone flower brooch. Signed Parco Vintage Costume Jewelry

The history of Parco jewelry brand began in 1945 in Providence, Rhode Island and lasted more than three decades. The founders and co-owners of Parco Mfg Co were brothers Peter Parisi, president (1912-2006), Charles T. Parisi (1920-1994) – vice president, and John Parisi (secretary and treasurer). Located at 91 Hartford Avenue, Providence, Parco Manufacturing Co employed about twenty people.

The Parco craftsmen made stunning jewelry pieces with the use of gold, sparkling rhinestones, capturing the essence of post-war glamour. According to the 1940-50s ads, Parco was a great hand at original design in rhinestone jewelry. “Fine hand-set stones free from acid, tarnish proof rhodium settings and sheer inspiration are the ingredients” for their distinctive lines.
(more…)

Peabody Essex Museum Vintage Costume Jewelry

Horse-Drawn Cub Pin inspired by a pull toy made by Ives & Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut, in the 1880s. Peabody Essex Museum Vintage Costume Jewelry
Horse-Drawn Cub Pin inspired by a pull toy made by Ives & Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut, in the 1880s. Peabody Essex Museum Vintage Costume Jewelry

The history of the PEM or P & E jewelry brand began in 1989 founded by the Museum Cooperative of Salem, Inc. Located in the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts, the company ceased to exist in 2003. However, before that, in 1992, the Museum Cooperative of Salem and the Peabody Essex Museum merged. As a result, the Peabody Essex Museum Inc continued its operations and is active today.

Inspired by famous works of art, these miniature masterpieces are replicas of exhibits stored in the museum – paintings, sculptures, jewelry, furniture, etc. Creating jewelry by hand, the museum jewelry designers and craftsmen used only the best materials – fine enamel, crystals, pearls, silver and gold. Traditionally, jewelry came in the original box and with descriptive paper. The maker’s mark includes P&E or PEM on the back.

One of the oldest museums in the USA, Peabody Essex Museum was founded in 1799. Today, the museum includes more than 1 million exhibits. Noteworthy, museum visitors can purchase a gift or jewelry to remember their visit in the PEM Shop, also known as the Museum Gift Shop in Salem.

(more…)

Knoll & Pregizer Vintage Jewelry

Knoll & Pregizer Vintage Jewelry
Butterfly brooch. Sterling silver clear crystals. Knoll & Pregizer Vintage Jewelry (1887-1975)

The history of manufacturer of watches and jewelry Knoll & Pregizer began in 1887 in Pforzheim, Germany, founded by Theodor Eberhard Friedrich Knoll (1851-1928) and Friedrich Pregizer (1882-1961). Knoll & Pregizer created jewelry from 1887 to 1975.

Each Knoll & Pregizer creation is a handcrafted sterling silver piece using the finest paste, imitation of diamonds, rubies, sapphires and emeralds. Sometimes KP jewelers used semi-precious stones such as amethyst and onyx. The maker’s mark on the reverse traditionally includes the crossed letters K and P. Knoll & Pregizer designs are inspired by Edwardian, French Belle Époque and Art Deco.
(more…)

Spanish Jewelry Designer Puig Doria

Spanish Jewelry Designer Puig Doria
Scarf Bow sterling silver brooch pin. Spanish Jewelry Designer Puig Doria (1926 – 2006)

Many-awarded Spanish jewelry designer Josep Maria Puig Doria (1926 – 2006) started making jewelry in 1948. Located on Avenida Diagonal in his native Barcelona, his company became a trendsetter in brutalist jewelry with modernist touches, as well as in costume jewelry. Since the mid 1960s he received the international reputation, and his jewelry business went uphill.

Although Puig Doria designed and made jewellery himself, he also relied on independent talented craftsmen to develop the design and embody it in metal. In general, this was understandable, because the growing demand for his jewelry led to an expansion of production and an increase in the administrative burden on the founder of the company. Initially, the company’s craftsmen created jewelry from silver, metal, ebony, and even from egg shells to create mosaics.

In 1971, Puig Doria developed a line of economical silver jewelry for export to the United States and West Germany under the Puig Doria brand. Puig Doria sold his jewelry in the world’s most famous showrooms, such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale’s, and Van Cleef & Arpels. Seven years later Puig Doria opened his namesake store in Geneva, and in 1984 in Japan.

Today, the second and third generation of Puig Doria jewelers continue the family business, creating exclusive jewelry from precious metals and stones.
(more…)

Douglas Paquette Vintage Costume Jewelry

Douglas Paquette Vintage Costume Jewelry
Christmas tree on red truck car gold tone enamel brooch pin. Douglas Paquette Vintage Costume Jewelry

The history of Douglas Paquette, Inc., also doing business as Douglas Paquette Accessories began in 1976 in Providence, Rhode Island. The company’s president was Douglas A. Paquette, who began the business as a hair ornament company. The firm later produced a variety of accessories and jewelry, from interchangeable belt buckles and keychains to dog collars and costume jewelry.

According to Jewelers’ Circular-keystone (1990), Douglas Paquette Accessories moved to 112 Frank Mossberg Dr., Attleboro, Massachusetts. The firm supplied high-quality jewelry and accessories to women’s specialty stores. Over its fifty years of operation, the company went through changes, mergers, opening of subsidiaries in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and their closures. The last Paquette Accessories boutique in Mystic, Connecticut closed for good in 2024.

The Providence-based jewelry studio handcrafted jewelry from the finest materials—gold, silver, metal alloys, crystals, and enamels. Notably, in the late 1990s, Douglas Paquette produced a line of costume jewelry for the famous Longaberger basket company. One of their brooches, a Christmas tree with basket charms, was featured in Nancy E. Trowbridge’s book, O Christmas Tree.

One of the trademarks launched by the company in the 1990s was Elite by Douglas Paquette. The earliest maker’s mark includes “Paquette” and a copyright symbol on an oval or rectangle cartouche. Since 1990s maker’s mark included stylized
“Douglas Paquette” in script on a papyrus scroll or paper scroll cartouche.

One of the brands launched by the company in the 1990s was “Elite by Douglas Paquette”. The maker’s mark trademark originally included “Paquette” and a copyright symbol on an oval or rectangular cartouche. However, since the 1990s, the marking has changed to a stylized “Douglas Paquette” on a papyrus or paper scroll cartouche.
(more…)

Rolyn Inc Vintage Costume Jewelry

Oak leaves and acorns 12 K gold filled brooch pin. Signed R Inc Rolyn Inc Vintage Costume Jewelry
Oak leaves and acorns 12 K gold filled brooch pin. Signed R Inc Rolyn Inc Vintage Costume Jewelry

The history of R Inc trademark on manufacture of women’s jewelry began in Cranston Rhode Island in 1961. It was the first of the seven trademarks launched by Rolyn Inc. company owned by Anthony Rendine (1929-1993) and his son Anthony Andrew Rendin Jr. Among other trademarks are Chante, C’Est Bien, Giana Leesa, Kobe (1984), and Opalite.

According to the 1961 ad in Jewelers’ Circular Keystone, Rolyn Inc. were manufacturers of a complete line of ornamental findings in gold-filled, sterling silver, karat- gold and brass for the jewelry trades. Also, the company had a representative HY Franc on 392 Fifth Avenue, New York.

Tge range of R Inc jewelry pieces demonstrate classic style handcrafted necklaces, brooches, bracelets, earrings, and pendants. Leaf and floral design circle pins, figural brooches, carved ivory flowers, filigree swirls and curls. The maker’s mark includes Inc” inside a letter “R”.

(more…)