Rhythm Jewelry Company History

The history of the Rhythm Jewelry Company, 405 Broome street, New York 13, NY, a manufacturer of gold and silver jewelry, began in 1946. Its founders were Brooklyn-based couple Max Rahthus (1893 – 1973) and his wife, Dorothy Rahthus (1896 – 1978).
Before founding Rhythm Jewelry Company, Max Rahthus owned Eastern Radio Mfg Co, 65 West Broadway, a manufacturer of radio accessories. An engineer by training, Max Rahthus was the author of several inventions in jewelry design, patents for which he received between 1947 and 1951.

His most famous line of 12-14-karat gold-plated nickel and sterling silver jewelry included bracelets, earrings, brooches, pendants, charms, and necklaces. The design of these pieces traditionally featured a variety of intricately woven, tightly assembled chain links.
Max Rahthus’s Inventions and copyright entries




According to the 1953 New York City Business Directory, Rhythm was a small company with 10 employees. The company did not conduct an advertising campaign and sold jewelry only through wholesale buyers.

Charm bracelets, featuring a variety of designs, were also popular jewelry items. The company’s artisans created jewelry under the Rhythm brand since 1946, and under the Scatter-Taks brand since 1957.

Incorporated in 1963, Rhythm moved to larger quarters at 16 West 31st Street in New York City. Rahthus died in 1973, but his company continued production for several more years. The last mention of the Rhythm corporation was in 1981. Today, jewelry bearing the Rhythm mark is rare and highly collectible.

Vintage Rhythm Jewelry
















