Barnett Robinson Jewelry Company History

Born in New York City in 1897, Barnett Robinson entered the jewelry business in 1918. He partnered with William L. Meissel to found Robinson & Meissel, importing and cutting precious stones at 65 Nassau Street. However, in 1922, Barnett Robinson dissolved the partnership and took over the company under his own name at 15 Maiden Lane.
In May 1923, his company moved from 15 Maiden Lane to larger premises at 542 Fifth Ave. Significant changes occurred in April 1927, when Barnett Robinson and Aaron Sverdlik, who also had a firm on Fifth Avenue, formed a new partnership called Robinson & Sverdlik, Inc.

Barnett Robinson frequently traveled to Europe and around the world in search of precious stone suppliers. During one such trip in 1925, robbers broke into his New York firm, tied up his staff, and stole tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of precious stones. However, Robinson himself later admitted that he did not suffer, as his loss was fully covered by insurance.

Robinson & Sverdlik, Inc
The new firm, Robinson & Sverdlik, Inc., was housed in beautiful, modern, and spacious premises on the eighth floor of a building at 527 Fifth Avenue. Robinson & Sverdlik organized an exhibition there, displaying collections of precious stones of all types and calibers, which opened on May 1, 1927.


The partnership between Barnett Robinson and Aaron Sverdlik lasted 28 years. In 1955, Barnett Robinson, president of Robinson & Sverdlik, announced the company’s name change to Barnett Robinson, Inc. In announcing the name change, Robinson emphasized that no changes had been made to the company’s structure. Barnett Robinson, Inc continued to operate at 610 Fifth Avenue, New York City.

Barnett Robinson (1897 – 1982)
Barnett’s parents were Philip Robinson and Molly. He first married Belle Pearlman, and divorced in 1936. Barnett’s second wife was Rose Schaefer. In marriage with her he had two children – daughter Edith and son Barnett Stuart Jr., who later took over the business.
Barnett Robinson was a member of 24 Karat Club of New York, and president in 1961. In 1975 he received Torch of Liberty, award from Anti-Defamation League, 1975.

Stuart Robinson
His son Stuart Robinson (born 1929) received an excellent education at Harvard University. He joined Barnett Robinson in 1951, became vice-president in 1955, and took over the business in 1976. Along with importing and cutting stones, he and his second wife Linda were also involved in the restaurant business. Restaurants became their main occupation after leaving the jewelry business.
Partners and longtime employees of Barnett Robinson Corporation purchased the business in 1990. The company continued to operate for another ten years and ceased operations in 2004.

Barnett Robinson Inc in ads











