Bauman-Massa Jewelry Company History

Samuel H. Bauman (1853-1933), president of Bauman-Massa Jewelry Co considered 1881 to be the beginning of his jewelry business. Moreover, he celebrated the anniversaries of the Bauman Massa company, counting from 1881. Thus, in 1906, he celebrated the 25th anniversary of the founding of that firm. Established August 1, 1881, under the firm name of Kayton & Bauman, the firm occupied a small room at 612 N. 4th St., St. Louis, Mo.
In 1889 Mr. Bauman took in Edwin Massa (May 10, 1949 – March 2, 1929) as a partner. Accordingly, from that time the company changed its name to the Bauman-Massa Jewelry Co. As of 1910, S. H. Bauman was president, Edwin Massa – vice-president, Joseph Auer – second vice-president, and Leo Bauman, son of S.H. Baum – treasurer.
Noteworthy, the first line carried by this firm was watchmakers’ material only. Later they added jewelry, watches, and then diamonds. The firm was steadily growing and became one of the largest concerns west of the Mississippi River.

Notably, the manufacturing department of the Bauman-Massa Jewelry Co. opened the Schwartzman Vocational School for Jewelers, Watchmakers, and Engravers on April 1, 1917. Young men and women preparing to enter the jewelry business, studied arts and crafts.
Samuel Bauman, together with his wife, spent a lot of time traveling, buying diamonds and stones. In fact, he spent more time traveling, sometimes for several months, than in the company office. In addition, Samuel-Massa paid great attention to buyers and sales representatives throughout the states. The company’s travel staff was quite large. In the 1920s the traveling force included F. L. Jaccard, Charles Welzmiller, Al Fritz, Joseph Auer, Samuel Lowenstein, William E. Susong, and O. L. Ross.

Bauman-Massa Jewelry Company History
Samuel H. Bauman retired in 1922, handing over presidential powers to his son Leo S. Bauman (1883-1959). His partner, 74-year-old Edwin Massa also retired in 1923. Six years later, Edwin Massa died tragically in a car accident. He was 80 years old.

The last mention of the company headed by Leo dates back to December 1941, in a lawsuit filed by the famous Elgin watch company. The court found Bauman-Massa, along with 70 other companies, guilty of “combining and conspiring” to restrain trade in Elgin products.

The investigation lasted for a year, which led to the subsequent sale of the company. The new owner, Catherine McCullar, did not change the company’s name. However, its products no longer reflected the Bauman-Massa corporate style.















