History of A. Sauer & Co Jewelers

A. Sauer & Co was originally established in 1921 in Cincinnati, Ohio, as a leather wrist watch strap maker. In fact, the company’s history is one of constant expansion, acquisition and absorption of other firms during the Great Depression.
Born in suburban Newport, Kentucky, Albert Sauer (1895 – 1954) was a son of one of that city’s prominent pioneer retail jewelers. Albert Sauer Jr began his career at the Cincinnati Times Star as an office boy, and then served as an apprentice for Joseph Noterman Co., jewelers, for about six years.

After serving in the Navy during World War 1, Sauer joined his father’s business, then he worked for several years in the firm of Joseph Noterman & Co., and Heileman & Roth. In January 1921 Albert Sauer bought out the Koplein Jewelry Co. He reorganized the business under the name of Al Sauer & Co. Albert Sauer opened offices in the Glenn building and reported a good business.

Steady Progress
Through a series of expansions Sauer found it too much to oversee the work of the factory and also be in the office. So, in 1924, Sauer appointed Edward Brauer, a well-known jewelry worker superintendent of the factory. Brauer formerly had been connected with the firm of Joseph Noterman & Co., where he worked for a decade.
A Sauer & Co progress had been steady. In 1925 Albert Sauer established one of the largest repair shops in the Ohio Valley, on the seventh floor of the Glenn building. There he put on a force of 41 men. He also bought out the firm of Wagenlander Bros, who had been in business for more than 60 years.

Further expansions
In 1928 the plant of A Sauer & Co opened an office at 333 Fifth Ave, New York under the supervision of Max Feldman, a former Cincinnatian. The same year the Sauer concern absorbed the leather business of Robinson Bros., Cincinnati.
In 1930 the lapidary founded by Gustav Gillmann passed into new hands lof Albert Sauer. It was the only establishment of its kind in Chicago although there were several diamond cutters there. Sauer moved the plant to the establishment in the Glenn building, Cincinnati, and appointed Carl Schmidt general manager.

In 1928 to 1930, he developed Split-proof straps, and in 1940, created and patented “Konite” buckle and keeper. They combined the sturdiness and lightness of plastic with the attractiveness of gold plating. The demand for the “Konite” straps (sold only in retail jewelry stores), steadily increased.
In addition to the making of watch straps, the company also operated an expanding jewelry manufacturing business, made emblem rings and ecclesiastical goods. The top favorite for many years, Masonic rings were made from 14K gold, cast in one piece, hand chased and enamelled in regulation colors.
J. C. Hockett corporation

During succeeding years, he expanded his retail outlets to five stores in the Greater Cincinnati area. In 1942, he separated the businesses by organizing the J. C. Hockett corporation to operate the retail stores. He opened new outlets in Mount Washington, Cheviot, Norwood and Erlanger, Kentucky.

Death of Albert Sauer
Sauer was a prominent businessman and led an active social and public life. He was president of the Cincinnati Wholesale and Manufacturing Jewelers Association. Sauer himself was behind the counter about nine hours each day. He also personally worked nine-hour shifts behind the counter of his store.
However, his health deteriorated; heart disease plagued him for several years. Albert H Sauer, Jr., 59, president of A Sauer & Co., died December 13, 1954, at his home.

Joseph F Haas
In February 1955 Joseph F Haas was elected president of A. Sauer & Co., manufacturers at 329 East Eighth Street, Cincinnati, Ohio. Haas had been with the firm for 30 years, and was its secretary and treasurer during the last several years. Edward Meier continued as vice president.
Other new officers were Herman Nieberding, secretary; Mal D’Arcy, treasurer, and Edward Sauer, assistant secretary-treasurer. It’s worth noting that Albert Sauer’s four brothers also worked for the company. They managed the company’s branches and stores in various states.
The successful family business ended when Joseph Haas and Edward J. Meier took controlling interest in A Sauer & Co., Inc in December 1957. Both of them had been with the firm since 1926.










