Marcus & Co Jewelry Company History

The business of Marcus & Co dates back to 1869, and was practically a continuation of the old business of Alexander Rumrill at 264 Broadway. When talking about the Marcus company, it is necessary to remember George B. Jacques (1845 – 1910), who stood at its origins.
Born in Mattawan, New Jersey, George B. Jacques began his jewelry career in the firm of Alexander Rumrill. In 1869 George B Jacques and his partner succeeded to the business. They formed the firm of Jacques & Stephens, and soon George Jacques took over the firm.

At the same time, Theodore B. Starr and Herman Marcus ran Starr & Marcus jewelry firm located at the corner of 17th Street and Broadway. Marcus and Jacques joined forces in 1878 to form Jacques & Marcus at 41 Union Square, New York. George B Jacques retired from the business in 1892, and the firm became Marcus & Co, located at 857 Broadway.
Headed by Herman Marcus’ son, William Elder Marcus as its president, Marcus & Co was incorporated in 1892. Herman Marcus became treasurer, and George Elder Marcus, vice-president and secretary. Later, when Marcus & Co moved to 544 Fifth Avenue, New York, William Elder Marcus’ sons – William E Marcus, Jr. became treasurer, and Chapin Marcus (1884 – 1950) secretary.

Herman Marcus (1828-99)
Germany born Herman Marcus began his jewelry career at Ellemeyer, the court jewelers of Dresden. He came to New York in 1850 and had worked for such jewelry firms as Ball, Black & Co, and Tiffany & Co before founding Starr & Marcus.
A talented designer, “American René Lalique”, Hermann Marcus received several top awards both in the United States and at international exhibitions. Advertisements for his beautiful jewelry regularly graced the pages of the most renowned fashion magazines of the time.
It was Hermann Marcus who instilled in his sons a love of jewelry making and left them a rich legacy.

George Elder Marcus (1859 – 1917)
The sudden death of George Elder Marcus, vice-president of Marcus & Co became a severe shock to the jewelry trade of the metropolis. Marcus met his death on Moosehead Lake, where he spent a short vacation. His boat suddenly turned over, and the jeweler drowned.
Born in New York, George Elder Marcus received his early education at a school in Lucerne, Switzerland. After his return to the USA he joined his father and brother in the jewelry business in New York. The store of Marcus & Co on the corner of 40th Street and Fifth Avenue was a beautiful establishment and stood as a lasting monument to George Marcus’ efforts.

William Elder Marcus (1858 – 1925)
Born in New York, he received his first education here, and later went to Lucerne, Switzerland, to continue his education. Having returned to the USA, he entered Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute. After finishing his college course he joined his father’s business to which he devoted the rest of his life.

William Elder Marcus, Jr (1883 – 1970)
In May 1927 the annual meeting of the stockholders of Marcus & Co., 544 Fifth Ave., elected the board of directors. It consisted of William Elder Marcus, Jr. (president and treasurer), Chapin Marcus (first vice-president and secretary), and Louis E. Fougery (vice-president). Other officers included Dorothy Elder Marcus, Herbert L. Blackman, Louis E. Fougeray, Carleton E. Bryant and William L. Rich.

In 1941 American department store corporation Gimbels purchased Marcus and Co. General manager of the firm was Kenneth I. Van Cott. The department store continued to sell jewelry under the Marcus & Co brand. Following the merger with another New York jeweler, Black, Starr & Frost in 1962, Marcus & Co ceased to exist.

The new home of Marcus & Co., 671 Fifth Ave., New York

“The window shows “Precious Pyramids of Emeralds,” a display with the green beauty of $250,000 of jewels, all emeralds. The hexagonal columns are replicas in large size of the natural form in which the emerald is found. The inset gives a view of the same window of the interior of the store.
The windows represent miniature stages, portraying the drama of precious jewels. This picture shows the aluminum mesh curtains, drawn automaticaily, late each night. To the passerby the front of the new store presents the effect of two miniature stages, with curtains, proscenium, lighting, and cyclorama in the background. The rest of the window is masked from view by gleaming duraluminum.


























