KARU Kaufman Ruderman Jewelry History

Founded on February 1, 1928, by Paul Kaufman in partnership with 20-year-old Jack Ruderman, Kaufman & Ruderman was located right in the heart of Manhattan’s jewelry district. The firm operated under the Karu and Karu-Arke brands, based on the first two letters of the founders’ last names, Paul (Peter) Kaufman (1891 – 1966) and Jack Ruderman (1908-2013).
The company produced earrings, rings, tie clips, bracelets, brooches, pendants, necklaces, strings of beads and pearls. Karu jewelry gained popularity, being sold in major stores in the United States and appearing in fashion magazines.

The popularity of Karu jewelry led to a claim and even a lawsuit from the famous firm Cohn & Rosenberger. Fortunately, their claims regarding the similarity of the name Karu and Coro were not satisfied.
Stanley Kaufman (1922 – 2013)
Before the outbreak of World War II, the founder’s son, Stanley Kaufman, joined the company. He worked part-time in the shipping department, made boxes, and even swept floors. However, Stanley had to interrupt his work due to military service.

Expanding production, Kaufman & Ruderman Co., Inc moved to a new address at 411 Fifth Ave in 1944. After the war ended, in 1946, Stanley Kaufman returned to work for his father’s company as a sales representative. In addition to sales, Stanley was involved in jewelry design, creating lines of earrings, pendants, etc.
Noteworthy, it was Stanley Kaufman who created the Karu Arke brand in 1954 and was engaged in its promotion.
Retirements and closure

Paul Kaufman retired in 1965 and Jack Ruderman in the early 1970s. The decline of interest in costume jewelry in the 1970s and the retirement of the founders led to the demise of the once very successful company.

KARU Ads and Jewelry

























