New York Jeweler Franklin Karples

Born in Manhattan, New York City, Franklin Edel Karples (1898–1977) was the only son of William Edel Karples and Margaret Amanda Edel. In the 1920s, he was a collector and connoisseur whose name was often mentioned at art and antique auctions.
He established Franklin E. Karples jewelry company under his own name, incorporating it in June 1926. Other incorporators were T. L. Harrison, W. F. McDermott and J. L. Farrell. Karples led Franklin E. Karples, Inc., located at 604 Fifth Ave., as president for four years.

However, in June 1930, several creditors filed for bankruptcy against Franklin E. Karples, Inc. Franklin paid off his creditors and revived his business. The renewed company “Jewels by Karples”, 724 Fifth Avenue, was incorporated in June 1930. In 1943 – 548 Madison Ave.

Manufacturer of fine jewelry
Karples jewelers produced luxury jewelry using precious metals and stones—gold, platinum, diamonds, rubies, emeralds, aquamarines, sapphires, and others. In addition to jewelry, the firm made hair pins and combs from real tortoise-shell set with diamonds or other precious stones. Karples also designed a group of side-combs with detachable clips which could also be worn as clips on a dress.

Karples Advertising
Advertisements for Karples jewelry graced the pages of Vogue magazine from 1941 to 1947. According to these advertisements, in 1943, Jewels by Karples moved from 724 Fifth Avenue to a new address – 548 Madison, New York City.

Patents
Jewels by Karples remained active until 1950. Franklin Karples himself was the inventor of several jewelry designs, patented from 1938 to 1943.



Vogue Ads

















