Bailey Banks & Biddle Jewelry Company History

Established in 1832 at 136 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Bailey and Kitchen company was founded by two silversmiths Joseph Trowbridge Bailey, Jr (1806 – 1854) and Andrew B Kitchen. When Kitchen retired in 1846, Joseph Trowbridge Bailey changed the firm’s name to Bailey and Co. The company subsequently made two changes to 819 Chestnut Street in 1859, and to the corner of 12th and Chestnut Street in 1869.
After the death of Joseph Trowbridge Bailey in 1854, his brothers conducted the business until their retirements in the late 1870s. In 1878, George Banks and Samuel Biddle joined Joseph T Bailey Jr, and the firm name was changed to Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co. Clayton French became a special partner and Clement Weaver, William A. Wiedersein and Henry Rupp became junior partners.

S. Biddle was 29 years in the business, as a partner in the house of Clark & Biddle, Robbins, Biddle & Co, and lastly of Bailey, Banks & Biddle. Noteworthy, in 1917 President Wilson appointed Samuel Bailey a major in the ordnance department. His brother Clement Weaver (1848-1913) was a vice-president of the Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co, Philadelphia. He entered the employ of the Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co, known in those days as Bailey & Co in 1864.
Medals of honor and service crosses

In addition to jewelry, the company made the “distinguished service’ medals of honor and service crosses of the United States of America. Also, they made artistic quality gold and silver insignia, badges, and orders of the various countries, including swords of honor. Their insignia department was one of the largest of the kind in the world. Notably, former President Eisenhower was wearing his Bailey, Banks & Biddle class ring when he was sworn into office.
Bailey Banks & Biddle Corporation

Incorporated in 1894, the company moved to 1218 Chestnut St in February, 1904. When Joseph Trowbridge Bailey died in 1918, his grandson, Charles Weaver Bailey (1861 – 1922), took over the company. Following the death of Charles Bailey in 1922, David H. Hilsee became head of the firm and retired in 1933.

New president – Willson A. Streeter
Willson A Streeter then held the post from 1933 until 1951. Streeter started with the Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co in 1891 as an entry clerk in the diamond department. In 1902 he became European buyer, and in 1912 – general manager. The next year he took the position of vice-president, and vice-president and treasurer in 1918.
Streeter resigned in March 1919 to become vice-president of E. H. Hufnagel, Inc., of Mount Vernon, becoming president in 1928. Later, he conducted that business under his own name.

In 1952 Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co moved into the Perry Building at 1530 Chestnut Street. According to W. Atlee Burpee, president of the firm, the new location was completely modernized, including the air conditioning and entire premises. W. Atlee Burpee continued the old tradition of the 120 year-old business.

Bankruptcy

In 1961, Bailey Banks & Biddle, Philadelphia’s oldest retail jeweler, received an offer to become part of the Zale Jewelry Co., Dallas, Tex., one of the world’s largest diamond cutters. The company subsequently went through bankruptcy, a change of ownership, closure, and revival through the purchase of a legendary brand.

Ads and jewelry


























