Napier Jewelry Company History

The history of the legendary American jewelry brand Napier began in 1920, founded by James H. Napier (1889, Martinsburg. N. Y. – 8 February, 1960, Meriden, Connecticut). However, the history of the Napier Co. of Meriden, Connecticut manufacturer of silverware specialties and jewelry creations dates back to 1875.
While still young, James Napier worked for General Electric Co., and for International Silver Co. In 1914 he joined E. A. Bliss Co., (previous names Whitney & Rice, Carpenter & Bliss). Originally Attleboro based Bliss Company came to Meriden, Connecticut in 1890.

James Napier became general manager and president of the company, which in 1920 became Napier-Bliss Co, and in 1922 Napier Co. Napier was the largest privately owned manufacturer of fashion jewelry with plant in Meriden, Connecticut, and offices in New York and Paris.
Death of James H Napier

James Napier headed his company from 1920 until his death in 1960. Noteworthy, it was the year when the company celebrated its 85th Anniversary. After his death the new president was elected Frederick Rettenmeyer, who had worked for the company as a chief designer from 1907 to 1964. In 1964 he retired and John A. Shulga headed the company as president from 1964 to 1982.

Success of Napier Company

In the 50s, Napier made jewelry for the winners of the Miss America contest. Also, many Hollywood stars preferred Napier jewelry. Even the first lady of the country, the wife of the US President, Mamie Eisenhower, noted Napier jewelry. The company created 25 silver bracelets with images of elephants in 1955, one of which was given to Lady Eisenhower.

New Owner
Victoria & Company Ltd purchased Napier in 1980. Although the new owner created several lines of jewelry under the Napier mark, it was unable to maintain the previous style and design of the legendary brand. As a result, the Napier brand ceased to exist in 1999.

Napier Jewelry and Ads


















